Sunday, December 26, 2004

Prayer Verses

One of my present weaknesses is prayer. I almost always remember to pray before I go to bed but sometimes (more times than I'd like to admit) I fall asleep in the middle of it. I next to never remember when I wake up and occasionally remember to pray sometime in the middle of the day - unless I'm at church or a church function. I really needed some inspiration and reminder; these are the verses that I really liked out of all I could find.  My favorite so far is Matthew 6:5-8

1 Samuel 12:23 (NIV)
As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by failing to pray for you. And I will teach you the way that is good and right.

Matthew 6:5-8 (NIV)
And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you . And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Luke 22:40-43 (NKJ)
When He came to the place, He said to them, "Pray that you may not enter into temptation." And He was withdrawn from them about a stone's throw, and He knelt down and prayed, saying, Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will but Yours, be done. Then an angel appeared to Him from heaven, strengthening Him.

Romans 2:26 (NIV)
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.

Ephesians 3:16-19 (NIV)
I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Saints: Holy ones - set apart (Romans 1:7; 1 Samuel 2:9). All true Christians are saints in the biblical sense of the word (Ephesians 1:12-14; 1 Peter 2:5;9). Not perfect people but those who have accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior (Philippians 1:1; 4:21).

Ephesians 6:18 (NIV)
And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

Colossians 4:2-6 (NIV)
Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversations be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NIV)
Be Joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

1 Peter 4:7-8 (NIV)
The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

As I was looking all this up and typing it out, I have sounded like a broken record singing a favorite church song. I don't remember what comes before or after but I've sang over and over "...I need thee every hour, as I kneel in prayer I hope to meet you there, blessed Jesus hold my hand". - This tune in my head was only picked up because we sang it today, I'm sure its not by coincidence.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there - good thoughts on prayer. I also really wanted to let you know that I think the new blog site looks fabulous! Klondike Kate

MrsM said...

Thank you, thank you! The prayer list has already helped me tons and as for the new digs my site is wearing, I'm glad you like it. I really like it too, it's a bit of a shock everytime I stop in.