Friday, August 11, 2006

Vetch

To vetch or not to vetch, that is the question...

Vetch is purple flowering weed, it takes over and is extremely invasive. I love seeing it around town, its beautiful and bushes up really well.



It creeps really well but strangles out other plants.

This fence surrounds one of our local elementary schools and is the only place I've seen where the vetch looks so neat creeping.



Fence or no fence, I've been thinking about putting it in my front yard against the house, nothing else grows well in the front. If I do it and don't like it, I could just rip it out... But would it all come out? Every where you look they say you can't kill this stuff and is almost impossible to get out. But the front yard is so hard packed, the grass doesn't even grow there well. And there is already vetch on the property and around the neighborhood so it's not like I'd be introducing it in. I guess I'll have to think another summer on this one and leave my front beds bare. I did however want to share the photo's.

The funny part is if I mention this to anyone who even remotely likes to garden they think I'm crazy. But its not like planting dandy-lions right? ha, ok maybe it is.

5 comments:

john r mclay said...

The name "Vetch" sounds like the cookies have been tossed, but those who plant "Alaska wildflower mix" from a can are spreading weeds over the land. Vetch, howevr, is beautiful.

akscotts said...

you know me - i know nothing at all about gardening - but i'm sure there is a reason why everyone says don't plant it:) i bet you could get something to grow in the front yard that wouldn't be so horrendous to get rid of if you don't like it. have fun with whatever you do:)

FishTaxi said...

look around your yard/zone and see whats growing that you like. this fall when they go to seed capture them and put them in your freezer. next spring plant them where you want them.

Heidi said...

I remeber you transplanting those into my yard...way back when...they never took off. But my nieghbor to the south has some and they are pretty tame. I would plant them!! Its only a weed if you look at it as a weed.

Tabitha-n-AK said...

Maybe try some of those alaskan seed's of mixed flowers. My mother in law has really good luck with that and they creep up the fences to.