Sunday, August 08, 2010

Dawson Creek


It's taken me a bit longer to write than I intended. I think a day or two after we left the hotsprings I came down with strep throat. A few days later little J came down with it too. Thankfully big J never caught it. So we had to do a few doctor visits in Canada to get some antibiotics and now we're almost recovered from it. Although it really took the energy out of me, the boys and I didn't let it keep us from any fun.


Dawson Creek was pretty neat, they have these HUGE wind turbines that looked like windmills on the horizon, all lined up in a row. They looked like they might make a neat photo up closer so the boys and I set out to find our way. We drove back through all sorts of little country roads, lanes and even a little dirt trail we took the suburban through, but we eventually found those turbines. It turned out to be a lot further than I had initially thought, and the turbines turned out to be much bigger than initially appeared.


Little J was a bit freaked out. So was the dog actually. I don't know if it will make sense in type but the SWOOOP, SWOOOP, SWOOOP sound they made wasn't extremely loud, but it was a very BIG, slow sound, it resinated through the air for miles, down to where you could just about feel it. When I let Pete out to stretch his legs, he immediately dropped his head really low, his tail between his legs and started running for cover, haha it was really funny.


This is the first turbine, with our suburban parked at the bottom. It doesn't look like it in this picture but the suburban wasn't actually parked up next to it. The base looks smaller in this picture than it is. I think if there was a garage door in the base of that turbine I could have pulled the suburban inside. They were just enormous. And 34 turbines in all.



No comments: